Alrighty, so I am a little hesitant to do this post as I have never actually had a boyfriend, I have had a very hard time with one person in particular but never been in a relationship. And to be honest I’m not really eager to be in one, too much hassle for my liking. And the fact that I would have to spend money on them and not make up. But one of my friends said that I give great advice and should to a post on it (Shoutout to Joelle!). So, here goes, my tips on “getting over” someone.
1. Remember that you don’t need them. You do not need anyone at all to be able to love yourself. Not one single person. Sure, it’s nice knowing that someone truly loves you for who you are but once you love yourself for who you are, you don’t need anyone. Just remember that you are f*cking awesome.
2. Don’t beat yourself up about it. No matter what or how it happened, don’t blame yourself. If the relationship was meant to be, then it would have lasted, but sometimes these things happen for the better. I don’t speak to one of my closest friends in the world any more, and yeah it feels pretty sh*t, but there is no point trying to force something that just isn’t going to work. Everything happens for a reason. Do not blame yourself.
3. Pretend they don’t exist. So yeah this sounds pretty harsh, but just forget that they exist. Delete their number, unfriend them on facebook, block them on twitter, ALL of it. Because then their name isn’t popping up at every given opportunity, making you feel like crap. Also, this stops you from contacting them, from giving in. If they reeeally wanted to contact you, they would. By doing this you also aren’t seeing all those pictures of them with another girl/boy, making you feel even more like crap. So just delete every picture, conversation, profile, and be done with it.
4. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened”. I know some, well, most people will hate this one, but I really like this quote. I bet you had some amazing times that you will remember forever with that person, and maybe you can relive these with someone else. Every little thing that happens to you is a memory for you to cherish, whether that be good or bad, its what has made your life unique. I mean, yeah it wasn’t fun crying on a bathroom floor for four hours, falling over at prom or watching the person I really loved be in and out of relationships with other people, but they are all memories that have given me a story to tell.
5. There’s plenty more fish in the sea. I know this is the last thing you want to hear right now, but it’s really true. Even though, to you, the last person you were with is like an absolute God and the only person you ever want to be with, there are so many more people out there who in comparison make your ‘ex’ look like a skid mark. I’m just saying.
6. Don’t live on hope. This is a big one for me. I liked the same person for 5 years, yes you read that right. And it was because they constantly gave me hope that something- anything -would happen. He would constantly compliment me and hug me, get jealous when I talked to other guys and we would talk for hours on end. He even told me to “see what happens in the future”. And because of that I constantly hoped that one day I would be good enough for him, that he would finally love me too (deep). So, after leaving school in May, I haven’t contacted him at all, sure he’s popped up once or twice, but I know that nothing else is going to happen, so I don’t waste my time trying any more.
7. You ARE good enough. This kinda links in with points 2 and 6, but don’t think that it ended or that they aren’t with you because you aren’t good enough. Just because they don’t appreciate how amazing you are doesn’t mean that you aren’t amazing. Did that even make sense? You know what I mean. Someone somewhere thinks that you are an absolute Queen/King and will fall in love with everything about you. You’re f*cking cool.
8. Keep yourself healthy. I know a lot of people who have broke up with someone or had a hard time with someone and stopped eating, or completely over indulged (*cough cough* me…). If you eat better, you feel better. Also, healthy food can taste absolutely amazing. If you want me to make any healthy, vegetarian food posts (even pizza), let me know. Obviously everyone likes junk food every now and then, but not on the daily. Go out on long walks, let out your anger or pain in the gym, and make them sorry for what they have lost 😉
9. Its a great reason for a good pampering. I’m talking face masks, nails, hair, make up. I always feel great when I have my nails freshly painted, a face mask on and new make up to try out. Everyone loves a good make over, a new look for a new chapter of your life. Whether that be just getting some layers, dying your hair a different colour or chopping it off, you will feel so much more confident and not like the person you were a few weeks ago. Boys, the hair situation applies to you too, go spikey, beachy, longer, shorter- something different. And I know some boys who love face masks, so you may want to give them a try, be careful with peel off ones if you have any facial hair. Stick on some good, HAPPY music too. Music really does affect your mood.
10. And last but not least, stay around your friends and family. You probably don’t want to leave the house, I get it, but keeping yourself cooped up all by yourself is not going to help the situation at all. Go out and have a good time with your friends or family, these people will, most likely, be more angry at the person you are trying to forget than you are, so they will want to to be happy, completely forget about them and move on. If you reeeeally don’t want to leave the house, invite them round. Watch a good “rom-com” with face masks, food (I’ll let you have pizza for this one) and whatever else you all enjoy!
So there’s my top ten tips! I hope I helped you in some way, remember, they are poo and you are fabuloso, goodbye for now little buns!